What's Involved with Fertility Assessment?

Michigan Center for Fertility and Women's Health (logo)
What's Involved with Fertility Assessment?

If you are under 30 and have been unsuccessful conceiving after one year, or have been trying unsuccessfully for six months or more and are over the age of 35, we suggest you speak with a fertility specialist.In assessing your fertility, three areas will be evaluated.

  1. The quality of ovulation and the assessment of ovarian reserve are performed by reviewing menstrual histories, temperature charts, as well as hormonal evaluation.
  2. An evaluation of the uterus and fallopian tubes is performed to identify any structural problems; this would involve doing a dye test called ahysterosalpingogram or HSG, which will assess if the tubes are open and if the uterine cavity is normal.
  3. The third portion of the evaluation is a male evaluation of the sperm as 30-40% of the time it is a problem with the male. To do this, a semen analysis is performed to evaluate the sperm’s count, motility and shape as well as other parameters. Once the fertility doctor has done this evaluation, recommendations can be made.

Treatment for ovulation disorders could include dietary changes (weight loss if necessary) and/or a variety of fertility medications such as Clomid, an oral medication or gonadotropins, an injectable medication. For structural problems, surgery may be required if there is tubal blockage and/or fibroids or polyps in the uterine cavity. Also, surgery may help if there are conditions in the pelvis such as scar tissue or endometriosis, which may decrease the chances of success. For problems regarding male factor, there is an option to confer with a male fertility specialist to determine the cause of the male infertility. Men may require oral or injectable medications to improve the sperm parameters.Set up an appointment with us today if you would like to learn more.

Related Services